Clinical Trials Logo

Clinical Trial Summary

The endothelin (ET) system is an active target in human Acute Kidney Injury (AKI). Our primary hypothesis is that the circulating blood concentration of ET will be higher in patients with AKI than in matched controls.

Clinical Trial Description

Acute kidney injury (AKI) is a major health problem being both common and costly. It affects ~20% of hospital inpatients and consumes ~1% of the annual NHS budget. AKI occurs following a diverse range of insults, commonly ischaemia-reperfusion injury (IRI) but also sepsis and drug toxicity. Therapies for AKI are currently supportive and short-term mortality remains high, with ~2 million deaths per year worldwide. In those who survive an episode of AKI, 30% are left with chronic kidney disease (CKD). The remaining 70% that recover full renal function are at ~28-fold increased risk of ultimately developing CKD. This risk is even greater in elderly patients. Importantly, CKD is strongly and independently associated with incident cardiovascular disease (CVD), and together these exert a global socioeconomic burden. The recognition that AKI and CKD are linked is recent and the molecular pathways that control the transition from acute injury to chronic disease are not well defined. Currently, there are no specific treatments that reduce the risk of progressing to CKD after AKI. Thus, there is an unmet need for therapies that will prevent the transition from AKI to CKD and reduce the cardiovascular burden associated with both. Our preliminary investigations (not yet published) in humans and mice suggest that AKI causes sustained activation of the endothelin (ET) system to the long-term detriment of renal and systemic haemodynamic function. These pilot data form the basis of our project that seeks to determine whether the ET system is active in patients with AKI and, thus, represents a potential target for therapeutic intervention. ;

Study Design

Related Conditions & MeSH terms

NCT number NCT04551391
Study type Observational
Source NHS Lothian
Contact James Dear, BMBchBSc PhD MRCP
Phone 01312421284
Status Recruiting
Start date January 7, 2020
Completion date April 1, 2023

See also
  Status Clinical Trial Phase
Not yet recruiting NCT05538351 - A Study to Support the Development of the Enhanced Fluid Assessment Tool for Patients With Acute Kidney Injury
Completed NCT03938038 - Guidance of Ultrasound in Intensive Care to Direct Euvolemia N/A
Recruiting NCT05318196 - Molecular Prediction of Development, Progression or Complications of Kidney, Immune or Transplantation-related Diseases
Recruiting NCT04986137 - Fractional Excretion of Urea for the Differential Diagnosis of Acute Kidney Injury in Cirrhosis
Recruiting NCT04293744 - Acute Kidney Injury After Cardiac Surgery N/A
Completed NCT04095143 - Ultrasound Markers of Organ Congestion in Severe Acute Kidney Injury
Terminated NCT03438877 - Intensive Versus Regular Dosage For PD In AKI. N/A
Terminated NCT03305549 - Recovery After Dialysis-Requiring Acute Kidney Injury N/A
Enrolling by invitation NCT04062994 - A Clinical Decision Support Trial to Reduce Intraoperative Hypotension
Terminated NCT02860130 - Clinical Evaluation of Use of Prismocitrate 18 in Patients Undergoing Acute Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) Phase 3
Not yet recruiting NCT05548725 - Relation Between Acute Kidney Injury and Mineral Bone Disease
Completed NCT02665377 - Prevention of Akute Kidney Injury, Hearttransplant, ANP Phase 3
Terminated NCT03539861 - Immunomodulatory Biomimetic Device to Treat Myocardial Stunning in End-stage Renal Disease Patients N/A
Not yet recruiting NCT04523064 - iSGLT2 in Prevention of Acute Kidney Injury in Patients With Diabetes Mellitus Undergoing CABG Extracorporeal On-Pump Phase 4
Not yet recruiting NCT05806645 - UPTAKE: Using Personalized Risk and Digital Tools to Guide Transitions Following Acute Kidney Events N/A
Not yet recruiting NCT05017896 - Prediction of Acute Kidney Injury After Operation of Acute Type A Aortic Dissection Based on Multimodal Model
Active, not recruiting NCT01720030 - Levosimendan in Acute Kidney Injury Study Phase 2/Phase 3
Completed NCT02518087 - Increased Adsorption Membranes During Cardiopulmonary Bypass N/A
Completed NCT02914782 - Investigation of Fluid- and Electrolyte Balance in Post Cardiac-surgery Patients
Completed NCT02976792 - Effectiveness of the NephroCheck™ After TAVI